The name Rovira was associated for the first with radiology in Mallorca at the beginning of the 1930s. Mr José Rovira Sellarés was a radiologist, born in 1887, in Palma de Mallorca. He studied medicine at the University of Valencia and got his degree through the University of Madrid in 1921. Later, he specialized in radiology in Germany, where he coincided with the most prominent Spanish radiologists. He was a Permanent Academician of the Royal Academy of Medicine and Surgery of Palma de Mallorca, and delivered in 1955, the inaugural speech under the title, ”Progress and Evolution in Radiology”.
Back in Spain, in 1930, he set up his first clinic in an apartment in the Plaza San Francisco, in Palma de Mallorca. Unfortunately, like so many other things, the Spanish Civil War interrupted his dedication to medicine. When the war ended, circa 1941, he recovered his profession and vocation, opening his professional clinic on Calle Misión, 4. Today it is still the headquarters of the “Gabinete Radiológico Dr. Rovira, SL”
In 1942, Dr Rovira, aware of the importance of technological advances in his discipline, imported a 200kv deep radiation therapy machine (General Electric) from the USA, the first devise of these characteristics to be installed in the Balearic Islands. Many other conventional radiological devices followed, such as the 180kv MAXIMAR GEC apparatus, used for studying the digestive system in addition to other important investments, thus making this clinic the most active independent radiological centre in Palma. Following in his footsteps, at the beginning of the 1960s, his son Bernardo Rovira Marqués took over and expanded the clinic by installing the first telecobalt unit (GE) on the island, and later the Gammatron R machine (Siemens).
At the beginning of the 1970s, the radiologist Antonio Alastuey Pruneda joined the medical team. Since 1975 he has been running the clinic, after the early death of Bernardo Rovira Marques. Dr Alastuey continued the work of his predecessors, installing the first orthopantomography machine. Over the years, the Rovira Clinic has earned high recognition in the medical world and the Balearic Islands on account of its specialization in radiotherapy and treatments against cancer.
Under the direction and guidance of the Dr Alastuey Pruneda, the radiological clinic grew with criteria, reflecting an honourable and serious character. Circo1985, Dr Jaime Socias Gelabert joined the clinic, bringing new technologies, mainly ultrasound, which he was specialized in. The gradual incorporation of radiotherapy in the clinics and hospitals led the clinic to focus on radiodiagnosis, replacing the cobalt therapy units with, among other conventional X-ray units, the remote controller Phasis (GE). In 1995, Dr. Alastuey retired from medicine, and was replaced by Dr Socias in the medical management of the clinic.
With Dr Socias, and the incorporation of Dr José María Collado Rodríguez, specialized in obstetric sonograms and new imaging diagnostic technologies, the Rovira Clinic demonstrates is strong commitment to diagnostic imaging. Consequently, it has successively acquired:
Currently, the second decade of the 21st century, Dr. Rubén Blanco Rodríguez joins as Medical Director with a team of new radiologists and incorporating new technology with high-field resonances and state-of-the-art CT.
Dr. Rovira Clinic of Radiology, founded in the early 1930s by Don José Rovira Sellarés, as a diagnostic imaging center in Palma de Mallorca. More than 80 years later, this company has a highly qualified medical and professional team committed to the health of our patients.
Dr. Rovira Clinic of Radiology is a benchmark in the use of the latest technologies and is specialized in radiological image diagnosis, from Direct Digital Radiography, through all the most advanced technological possibilities such as Computerized Axial Tomography or Magnetic Resonance, General Ultrasound , High Definition 3D Volumetric Automatic Ultrasound, Body Densitometry and other complementary techniques.
Our spirit of improvement and constant updating has positioned us as one of the centers of reference in Diagnostic Imaging in the Balearic Islands.
Today, the Clinic has the most advanced technology in all radiodiagnostic equipment, updated state-of-the-art equipment in a recently renovated environment designed for the maximum well-being of our patients.
Our orientation of patient service is now expanded with the creation of an area specialized in Women, thus ROVIRA DONA was born.
We are sure that this is the way to travel the path of the future with a firm step and by the hand of all who are part of the company: doctors, technicians and other professionals make the Rovira Cabinet a benchmark in health services.