Professionalism and Proximity
The Dr Rovira Clinic of Radiology, located in Palma de Mallorca (Spain), has a long-standing career, innovating and offering specialized services for over 80 years.
With a privileged location in the centre of Palma, the latest diagnostic technology and specialized services and attention of our professionals are at your disposal.
The name Rovira was associated for the first with radiology in Mallorca at the beginning of the 1930s. Mr José Rovira Sellarés was a radiologist, born in 1887, in Palma de Mallorca. He studied medicine at the University of Valencia and got his degree through the University of Madrid in 1921. Later, he specialized in radiology in Germany, where he coincided with the most prominent Spanish radiologists. He was a Permanent Academician of the Royal Academy of Medicine and Surgery of Palma de Mallorca, and delivered in 1955, the inaugural speech under the title, ”Progress and Evolution in Radiology”. Back in Spain, in 1930, he set up his first clinic in an apartment in the Plaza San Francisco, in Palma de Mallorca. Unfortunately, like so many other things, the Spanish Civil War interrupted his dedication to medicine. When the war ended, circa 1941, he recovered his profession and vocation, opening his professional clinic on Calle Misión, 4. Today it is still the headquarters of the “Gabinete Radiológico Dr. Rovira, SL” (Dr Rovira Clinic of Radiology).
In 1942, Dr Rovira, aware of the importance of technological advances in his discipline, imported a 200kv deep radiation therapy machine (General Electric) from the USA, the first devise of these characteristics to be installed in the Balearic Islands. Many other conventional radiological devices followed, such as the 180kv MAXIMAR GEC apparatus, used for studying the digestive system in addition to other important investments, thus making this clinic the most active independent radiological centre in Palma. Following in his footsteps, at the beginning of the 1960s, his son Bernardo Rovira Marqués took over and expanded the clinic by installing the first telecobalt unit (GE) on the island, and later the Gammatron R machine (Siemens).
At the beginning of the 1970s, the radiologist Antonio Alastuey Pruneda joined the medical team. Since 1975 he has been running the clinic, after the early death of Bernardo Rovira Marques. Dr Alastuey continued the work of his predecessors, installing the first orthopantomography machine. Over the years, the Rovira Clinic has earned high recognition in the medical world and the Balearic Islands on account of its specialization in radiotherapy and treatments against cancer.
Under the direction and guidance of the Dr Alastuey Pruneda, the radiological clinic grew with criteria, reflecting an honourable and serious character. Circo1985, Dr Jaime Socias Gelabert joined the clinic, bringing new technologies, mainly ultrasound, which he was specialized in. The gradual incorporation of radiotherapy in the clinics and hospitals led the clinic to focus on radiodiagnosis, replacing the cobalt therapy units with, among other conventional X-ray units, the remote controller Phasis (GE). In 1995, Dr. Alastuey retired from medicine, and was replaced by Dr Socias in the medical management of the clinic.
With Dr Socias, and the incorporation of Dr José María Collado Rodríguez, specialized in obstetric sonograms and new imaging diagnostic technologies, the Rovira Clinic demonstrates is strong commitment to diagnostic imaging. Consequently, it has successively acquired:
- High-range Doppler ultrasound and the first 3D waves
- Bone densitometry equipment
- 0.2T Open Magneton Magnetic Resonance (MRI) (Siemens)
- Spirit CT scan (Computerized Axial Tomography) (Siemens)
- Esaote 0.2T Magnetic Resonance (MRI).